Friday, March 1, 2013

Walking well


Not sure whether you’ve noticed or not, but at the beginning of every fall semester it starts all over again for a new group of freshmen; it’s most likely not what you’re thinking.  Outside my office, to the west of Ludwig Center, the lawn fills up with new ROTC cadets learning how to “walk” properly.  They are being taught by returning officers, or those who a year or two before were in the same process.  The cadets learn how to step, march, turn, and from what I can tell one of the most difficult foot maneuvers they learn, is the about face.  They pop a heel in the air, stick the toe in the turf, spin, rotate, and end up facing the opposite direction.  It’s way easier for me to describe than it would ever be for me to attempt.  Sure, they lose their footing at first, but they keep at it. I’m not really certain how they do it without falling on their faces — actually, some do. At times it’s humorous to watch, but the rite of passage for the cadets has gained my respect. 

I’m not sure where the ability to walk or march properly falls in order of importance for those serving in the armed services, but it must be pretty significant for as much time as they work on it. They spend hours upon hours practicing how to walk and turn properly. There is precision to their steps. There is intentionality to their pace. They don’t all get it at first. They lose their footing, stumble, lose their balance, but eventually they get it.  And I’m sure all you would have to do is ask any of our ROTC cadets or officers here, and they’d tell you there is only one right way to do it. 

I don’t think it’s any different for us who are people of faith. The time in which we live says there are many ways for us to get to the same place. The reality is there is only one right way to do it — the Jesus way. It’s not about what I think is right, or what you think is okay. It’s not what Dr. Vassel described when talking about Paul’s experience in Athens. (Some responded in saying “That might work well for you Paul, but not for us.”)  That mindset isn’t just out there somewhere, but it has crept into the church, making it difficult at times for us to land anywhere with certainty. When you lose your foothold, it becomes difficult to walk. The more difficult it becomes to walk, the more difficult it is to get to your desired destination. The older I get, the more I realize that this life is about learning to walk well.

My prayer for us this semester is that we listen for the ways God is calling us to walk. Not sure about you, but I don’t want to make excuses for what I do, but in my walking, I want it to be said of me that I walked well. And I want it to be done with certainty, just like those cadets outside my office window.  Stumbling, losing our footing and balance at times is all part of the process of learning to walk.  There is much grace for us in the process, and for that we are grateful.  But the good news is like the cadets, we don’t do it alone either.  We have the privilege to learn from those who are ahead of us in the journey.  Just like those cadets are taught to walk from those who have already learned, we too can learn to walk well as we follow in the footsteps of those who are ahead of us. In following those who are ahead of us, we learn from them how we walk in the way of Jesus.
Text for the week:  Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment