Friday, April 5, 2013

Questions that shape our lives


When my daughter was a child, she never ran out of questions. She could wear us out asking us about anything. At times, it became exhausting to the point where Terry would ask her to quit talking so she could give her brain a rest.

Questions are an important part of life. I don’t think we should ever stop asking questions, or force those around us to stop asking them, except for some momentary times of solitude, so we can gather ourselves and prepare for the next barrage. Questions asked when seeking honest answers help us all become better people. 

We’ve been asking ourselves a very specific question this semester, that like I said in chapel this week, shapes our lives by the way we answer it, one way or another. That question for us to think about, is the one that Jesus asked his disciples: Who do you say that I am?

But there are also a series of questions that, when asked more generally, can help us stay where we need to be on the road we are traveling. I asked you to think about eight questions this week as chapel came to a close, and how they help you process your decision of whether you would drink or not.

After chapel, I received a text, and the person sending the text said that those questions apply to much more than just social drinking, and I agree. I realize that we went through them rather quickly, so I wanted to give them to you so you can refer to them from time to time, as you continue to live in the way of Jesus. They are worded a little differently here than they were in chapel, thanks to the text I received, making them more general, applying to all of life.

My prayer for you is that you hear the voice of the spirit as you read these questions again. 

1.     Have I involved Christ in this decision?
2.     Is this decision made under the influence of the flesh, or the Spirit?
3.     For me, or my brother, can this decision lead to an addiction with the potential to enslave me or them?
4.     Will my decision harm someone else spiritually?
5.     If I do this, am I going against my conscience?
6.     If I do this, will it harm what others think about me?
7.     Would I want others to imitate me by the way I live?
8.     How would my life be enhanced if I do this, or compromised if I don’t?

Text for the week:  1 Corinthians 10:23-33

No comments:

Post a Comment